:: Re: [DNG] systemd: good riddance!
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Nate Bargmann
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] systemd: good riddance!
* On 2017 01 Jul 08:49 -0500, vmlinux wrote:
> It makes more sense when you consider that systemd is a thinly veiled
> excuse for an init daemon which really wants to replace every distro
> out there with something red hat has more control over.

Certainly, that trend has been well established. What is troubling are
all of the other distributions who treat it as fate accompli. My hope
is that Devuan, Slackware, and other distributions that have staked out
a position that seeks to maintain the traditional stack will maintain
enough traction so that application writers won't adopt only SD APIs at
the expense of anything else.

I'll admit, there was one trick that SD did that I liked, and that was
starting CUPS only when there was a call to print. I don't print often
so bringing up CUPS on demand and then shutting it down later was nice.
But then, SD was running all the time, so not much was gained.

- Nate