:: Re: [DNG] How long should I expect …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Alessandro Selli
À: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] How long should I expect to wait for openrc to be readyin devuan ascii
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 at 00:24:59 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 30/06/2017 à 23:30, Vincent Bentley a écrit :
> > Along time ago, well designed and well behaved software could be
> > recognised by the number of years passed without changes. I worked at
> > one place that was proud of release version birthdays.
>
>      Agreed. That's why I'm always bothered with the fast release pace
> of some essential pieces of software, with the fastest being the GCC and
> the Linux kernel.

Well, this is understandable: both the compiler and the kernel must keep
up with the frantic rollout of new hardware from many vendors. You don't
have to upgrade if you don't need support for the laters pieces of silicon
the industry has churned out the past month. What matters is that older
releases are still maintained and that they work, of course. From time to
time support for a new protocol/filesystem is merged, too. This is not the
case of init systems, as they are not supposed to be sensitive to the
particular hardware/filesystem they are running on. I wonder why zap feels
the need of a "regularly updated" init, are there issues in the current
Devuan init that he feels are not being adequately addressed?

Bye,

Alessandro