:: Re: [DNG] grsecurity ripoff by Goog…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Rick Moen
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] grsecurity ripoff by Google, with Linus' approval WAS: I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Quoting Bruce Perens (bruce@???):

> So, what you are saying is that you are permitted to redistribute the
> latest grsecurity patch, but that the company will as a penalty disallow
> you from further being their customer or receiving any additional versions
> of the patch. And this might not be written down, but it's their policy.
>
> The punitive action is not incidental, it is a direct punishment for the
> taking of an action which the GPL requires to be permitted.
>
> I don't think a judge would have an problem with seeing this as a
> deliberate contract violation.

IMO this confuses the right to distribute a work (patchsets already
provided) with the right to distribute entirely different works (patchsets
produced after termination of contract). Future support and maintenance
are just not part of a licensee's obligations under GPLv2, irrespective of
what theory of law you're applying.

As always, though, the only view that ultimately matters is the judge's.