:: Re: [DNG] reverse-engineering syste…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Bruce Perens
Aan: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] reverse-engineering systemd is fighting strategic incompetence.
Steve,

Well, I've fought bigger dragons than this and won. And while there are
paid developers working on SystemD, I have not yet seen technical evidence
that they spend any time at all on obfuscation. APIs change, but for
technical purposes, and they don't all change at once. Real programmers
aren't just skilled, they are willing to take a challenge, even if there's
a chance of failure. So far, I am hearing a lot of meekness.

While this discussion has been going on, I outfitted a ham station in my
trailer and pulled it to a dark-sky and RF quiet 10 acre site that I had
bought, to operate for ARRL Field Day. And incidentally, discovered a cave
on my new property. I didn't get in, but there is cold air blowing out of
the ground! So, I've been busy. Now that this project is over, I have some
time to work on the problem of libsystemd0.

My first approach is not to change the library at all, but to make
something that provides all of the services it expects and yet is not
SystemD. Some of the calls might just return errors, but there is no reason
that other software can't provide the expected information. If that works,
I would try the unmodified libsystemd0 binary and unmodified GNOME
binaries. In other words, hack only one thing, and leave everything else
unmodified.

This could also be a path to replacing SystemD on Debian without hacking
all over the distribution.

    Thanks

    Bruce