:: Re: [DNG] curl: (1) Protocol "http"…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: G.W. Haywood
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] curl: (1) Protocol "http" not supported or disabled in libcurl
Hello again,

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, Taiidan wrote:

> Thank you for your assistance :D

Don't mention it. I've had plenty of help from others in my time. :)

> I changed the normal repo to https, is there a special way I need to
> do this?

I think that's fine, but I'm a little puzzled. If you simply changed
the scheme from http to https and then for example issued the command

apt-get update

I would expect you to see a message telling you what you need to install.

Here's what happens when I make just that change in /etc/apt/sources.list:
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
# >>> apt-get update
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.
N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed?
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.
N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed?
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don;t have the apt-transport-https package installed, (but I don't
want it. :)

> "bash: curl: command not found"

You don't have the curl package installed, but that shouldn't matter
for the immediate issue. As it's a generally useful download tool I
would suggest installing it.

> On 06/16/2017 04:00 AM, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>> Is there some compelling reason to want apt-get to use HTTPS? After
>> all, downloaded archives can be checked for integrity independently
>> of the transport mechanism.
>
> The idea is that it provides a slightly increased measure of security
> (re ex: the clearsign bug) and makes it more difficult for a middleman
> to ascertain what packages a user is downloading.

It seems to me most unlikely that any middleman would be interested in
what Devuan packages anybody is downloading, he'd most likely look for
far more personal and financial data, passwords, that sort of thing.

>> Typing the error message into a search engine would probably give you
>> more useful help than I can give immediately
>
> Already done but I unfortunately I did not receive applicable any info
> from that

Hmmm, I fairly quickly found this:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/90227/why-there-is-no-https-transport-for-debian-apt-tool

As LatolaZ said earlier, you probably just need apt-transport-https.

apt-get install apt-transport-https

should fix your problem - but I think you're worrying needlessly and
making things more complicated than they need to be.

--

73,
Ged.