:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Antony Stone
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
On Wednesday 21 June 2017 at 23:58:26, Alessandro Selli wrote:

> On 21/06/2017 at 18:06, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I do seem to hear a lot of the same sentiment as the pro-code guys in
> > this discussion. And I know where that goes. We didn't dumb anything
> > down, we just got people to participate. And everything was better for
> > it.
>
> I take you read the ignorant Guru's post at
> https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
> Please, would you point us out where are Gnome devs getting "people to
> participate"?

I think you've mis-read the wording of Bruce's posting - he's not saying that
the Gnome people have taken the attitude "We didn't dumb anything down, we
just got people to participate. And everything was better for it."

He's saying that about his own campaign to remove the Morse requirement from
the Ham Radio qualifications.

The point is that eliminating an increasingly-obscure and pointless
requirement from an entry-level exam to a controlled field of activity resulted
in a significantly greater participation in that activity, once people didn't
have to jump through that pointless hoop, just to be allowed in to "the club".

You're quite right - the Gnome devs are not getting people to participate
(unless they already fit the required mindset).

Regards,

Antony.

--
Numerous psychological studies over the years have demonstrated that the
majority of people genuinely believe they are not like the majority of people.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.