:: Re: [DNG] new dbus packages for ASC…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] new dbus packages for ASCII in experimental -- PLEASE HELP TESTING
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:02:02PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 11:16 +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > So please, if you are using ascii with any
> > Desktop Environment, could you please hel testing those packages and
> > report any problem, so that we can move them to the main ascii repo
> > asap?
>
> I've been trying out mate-session, wmaker and e17 with startx and all runs fine
> :) These have also been tested on another VM with lightdm. Works fine too.
>
> gconf2 is not installed but gconf-service, gconf2-common and libgconf-2-4 are.
>
> Are they really needed? Trying to remove any of them causes emacs24/emacs25 to
> be removed. (And that is of course not allowed :( )
>
> Maybe emacs packages for X should be rebuilt??

Hi Svante,

I was considering that possibility, but didn't really want to go down
that path unless it is strictly needed, since we have far more
important priorities.

In most of the cases those dependencies do not come from upstream, and
have been instead introduced by Debian packagers, who have made a lot
of effort to entangle as tightly as possible hundreds of packges with
GNOME stuff. That's really annoying, to be honest, also considering
that the desktop share of GNU/Linux is below 1% of the total market,
and that the Debian share of that small percentage might be less than
5% overall, taking into account Mint, Ubuntu, and the rest. So we are
talking of a relatively useless chain of dependencies introduced to
make happier a relatively minuscle minority of users. And all this
comes from a "universal" operating system....

Pretty sad.

KatolaZ