Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute (somewhat resolved)
On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 01:40:39PM +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> >The problem was more worked around than resolved.
> >
> >After having no grub modules with an installation on a new disk, whether
> >DVD or netinst ISO, I knew the problem wasn't with the disk. I installed
> >Devuan Jessie more or less successfully on a new disk without the old
> >disk being connected. Then I reconnected the old disk and now can boot
> >either operating system successfully.
>
> Sounds a lot like what I recommended on 4th June. :)

GRUB is working fine. I can boot either disk from either GRUB menu.
Why I had to isolate the target disk in order to install Devuan remains
a mystery, but it does not seem to have to do with GRUB, which is working.

> >Incidentally, the key on which the ISO is installed names itself UEFI. I
> >have both UEFI and legacy selected in BIOS. If I have just legacy,
> >nothing boots.
>
> I'd have expected that you could select just legacy and then do a
> clean install, although I don't think I've never cared which it uses.

I had tried that, but failed. Forget the error, but it may have been
the blinking cursor indicating that no operating system found. The usb
key from which I install describes itself as UEFI, which may make it
unusable unless I have both legacy and UEFI in BIOS.

I just installed Devuan on another machine that already had a Debian
(Etch?) disk on it. After installation I could not boot Devaun because
of partition table error. However, testdisk says the partition structure
is OK. I'm doing a "deeper search".

As for my main Devuan install, I'm having trouble installing the
xserver. But aptitude tells me xorg is not a real package. I'm moving
from Debian Wheezy 32-bit to Debuan Jessie 64-bit, and perhaps I'm
missing something. Is xorg still the way to install xserver?

Haines