:: Re: [DNG] Devuan ready VPS?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Adam Borowski
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Devuan ready VPS?
On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 12:09:54PM -0300, Emiliano Marini wrote:
> >> I wonder if there is already any VPS provider supporting Devuan?
> >
> > You can rent a VPS with Debian and migrate to Devuan following this guide:
> > https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/
> > wikis/Upgrade-to-Devuan
>
> Not viable on most VPS providers, specially if they use OpenVZ or custom
> kernels/filesystems on the VMs. That's only possible under a full
> virtualisation platform.

Only if you'd want your own kernel. Debian/Devuan has pretty loose
requirements for the kernel: for jessie, it needs to be 2.6.32+, and unless
you run systemd, only a few config options are required.

And then, requirements for a vserver/openvz/lxc guest are way less sharp
than for the host.

Case in point: my only Devuan install is inside a lxc VM, on kernel
4.12.0-rc3 + a crapload of patches, own config, built with a compiler not
even in jessie (nor in stretch), yet everything seems to work fine.

And Devuan's kernel is bit-for-bit identical to that shipped with Debian:
it's not even recompiled.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ A tit a day keeps the vet away.