Til: devuan-dev
Emne: Re: [devuan-dev] bug workflow
On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 10:31:52AM +0200, Jaromil wrote:

[cut]

> Some of us lack understanding of how the BTS should be operated, via
> mail ok, but then there are perhaps some headers to be fixed? is there
> a concise guide for that or we shall write it extracting information
> from Debian's docs?

Hi Jaromil,

the doc is on bugs.devuan.org:

https://bugs.devuan.org/Developer.html

most of those operations can be done via devscripts, which have not
yet been patched to talk with our deployment of debbugs. My fault
there.

> Also as a generally agreed rule on how things should go, I propose the
> following workflow:
>
> 1- bugs reported on gitlab are followed there
> 2- bugs reported on the BTS are:
>   a. commented upon there
>   b. closed on BTW if immediately solved or #notabug
>   c. moved to gitlab if requiring patching and code reviews and forks
>      by replying to the BTS with a link to the gitlab followup

> do we agree on the above? are there any observations, anything I'm
> missing?

I am not sure. What is the bts used for then? The problem with gitlab
issues is that it is nearly impossible to have an overview of what is
going on, which issues are relevant for which package version, and so
on. Also, many bugs might not be assigned to a specific package, or be
relevant only for a specific suite. I agree that we should try to
integrate the BTS with gitlab, but I would probably do it the other
way around:

1) bugs reported on gitlab are forwarded to the bts, and any follow-up
on gitlab is reported on the BTS as well, so that we have a unified
history and a complete overview on the status of all issues, wherever
they are reported and whether they are linked to a specific package or
not.

2) bugs reported on the bts are followed up there, and might be caught
up on gitlab if they are assigned to a package, eventually. Sometimes
this is true, sometimes this is not true. Think for instance to bugs
for which there is no gitlab package...

I agree that the BTS also needs some improvements, but nothing is
impossible, if we agree on the workflow. Having gitlab issues
automatically reported and followed up on the BTS will be relatively
simple.

My2Cents

KatolaZ