:: Re: [DNG] reportbug default bts
Top Pagina
Auteur: fsmithred
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] reportbug default bts
On 05/13/2017 11:03 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:06:38 -1000
> Joel Roth <joelz@???> wrote:
>
>> Long before three weeks ago. I don't usually upgrade or
>> dist-upgrade unless there is some particular need.
>> Probably I'm not alone, even if that is not considered
>> best practice.
>
> I never dist-upgrade. From what I hear, it breaks things. If I feel the
> need to dist-upgrade, it's probably time to back up, reformat the
> disks, and clean-install a later version.
>
> SteveT

I always do dist-upgrade on stable. The aptitude equivalent is
full-upgrade. For curiosity, I just did 'apt-get upgrade' on an
installation that hasn't been upgraded in a long time. Following that with
'apt-get dist-upgrade' shows me that I would have missed getting
firefox-esr without dist-upgade.

When I've compared upgrade to dist-upgrade (or aptitude safe-upgrade vs.
full-upgrade) in the past, they are usually the same in the stable
release. In Testing, it's good to do them separately to prevent breakage.

fsmithred