:: Re: [DNG] reportbug default bts
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumptes nous: [DNG] cleaning before upgrade
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] reportbug default bts
Le 13/05/2017 à 17:03, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Sat, 13 May 2017 01:06:38 -1000
> Joel Roth <joelz@???> wrote:
>
>> Long before three weeks ago. I don't usually upgrade or
>> dist-upgrade unless there is some particular need.
>> Probably I'm not alone, even if that is not considered
>> best practice.
> I never dist-upgrade. From what I hear, it breaks things. If I feel the
> need to dist-upgrade, it's probably time to back up, reformat the
> disks, and clean-install a later version.

     apt-get dist-upgrade is what's necessary to change release - as the
name means -, eg Wheezy to Jessie or Jessie to Ascii. This is why it
should rarely be used, and only after carefully editing sources.list.
It's a jump into the new. Dist-upgrade always worked fine for me and I
consider this as one of the greatest achievements of Debian's package
management technology.

     I would recommend some clean-up before the jump. For example I
would uninstall things like mysql server which doesn't recognize any
priviledge to root. Also Debian tended to install a lot of packages the
user doesn't want and even doesn't know, so better get them out before
the dist-upgrade

     For all the rest of the life of the release, upgrading is the job
of apt-get upgrade / aptitude / synaptic. Don't use dist-upgrade for that.

     I installed most Devuan Jessie machines I run currently by
dist-upgrading from Wheezy. No issue.

     For everyday I use Synaptic, or sometimes apt-get upgrade; I feel
more on control with synaptic.

     Didier