:: Re: [devuan-dev] [Fwd] [DNG] issues…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: KatolaZ
To: devuan developers internal list
Oggetto: Re: [devuan-dev] [Fwd] [DNG] issues after update from debian 8 to devuan 1.0rc2 (with fixes)
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:12:22AM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:

[cut]

> >> We don't chase contributions from all over. They can provide
> >> patches attached to bug reports or fork and merge request changes in
> >> git.devuan.org.
> >
> > what if they don't? we loose the contribution?
> >
> well it would be up to the package maintainer as to how far they'd be
> willing to go to get patches etc, and unless it was really a really
> significant contribution that won't likely happen when contributions
> don't come via our defined paths for them.
>
> > I think this would be the wrong approach.
>
> I agree it would be wrong to simply refuse contributions, but informing
> them of our processes and how they can make their contributions easy for
> our maintainers and thus more likely to be applied is the only approach
> that will fly in the medium term.

Just my 2 cents on this. I believe that we should not refuse
contributions, but at the same time a contribution is such only if it
does not require further work from other developers, i.e., if it is
something that the contributor takes care of, until it comes into
Devuan's repos, and after that.

Just to make a stupid and extreme example, a pacman package of KDE
without logind from Arch is not a "contribution" to Devuan, since it
will require a lot more work to be included in our workflow. This is
extreme, but it should give the idea of what I mean.

We must do our best to guarantee that contributing packages to
Devuan's workflow is as easy as possible (and d1h is just a tiny
stupid example of what we can do in that direction), and that
developers can join in the process as easily as possible. But we
should be clear in saying that putting a package somewhere on the web
and saying "then you guys go there and import into Devuan or just fuck
off" is not a "contribution" to Devuan, in the end. And the reason is
that such "contribution" requires more work from other developers in
order to be usable by Devuan, and thus to qualify as such.

My2Cents

KatolaZ