:: Re: [DNG] Linux 4.9 kernel
Góra strony
Autor: KatolaZ
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Linux 4.9 kernel
On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 10:55:07PM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Hi KatolaZ,
>
> On 08/05/17 17:25, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 05:07:25PM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> > the only way of getting a backports kernel is by enabling
> > backports. Please notice that backports are disabled by default. I
> > confirm that both the 4.7 series and the 4.9 series are available in
> > Devuan backports.
>
> Okay, both the old and new servers have backports enabled. But I don't
> remember doing anything special for the kernel.
>
> Thanks

Hi Andrew,

jessie ships with a 3.16 kernel, so the most plausible way you could
have got a 4.9 kernel from backports in the other jessie box (or was
it wheezy?) is by:

# apt-get install linux-image-4.9.0-whateverversion

apt does NOT automatically update your kernel major version, for the
simple reason that the kernel package contains the version in its
name, so apt would not have any clue about the fact that
linux-image-3.16.0-whatever and linux-image-4.9.0-whatever are related
packages. And this is actually done on purpose, and for very good
reasons ;)

My2Cents

KatolaZ