:: Re: [DNG] Linux 4.9 kernel
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Linux 4.9 kernel
Hi KatolaZ,

On 08/05/17 23:10, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 10:55:07PM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> jessie ships with a 3.16 kernel, so the most plausible way you could
> have got a 4.9 kernel from backports in the other jessie box (or was
> it wheezy?) is by:
>
> # apt-get install linux-image-4.9.0-whateverversion
>
> apt does NOT automatically update your kernel major version, for the
> simple reason that the kernel package contains the version in its
> name, so apt would not have any clue about the fact that
> linux-image-3.16.0-whatever and linux-image-4.9.0-whatever are related
> packages. And this is actually done on purpose, and for very good
> reasons ;)

The other box started life as Devuan, using the same ISO as the new box
(from way back then). So, both boxen are Devuan from the start, not any
kind of migration from Wheezy or even Debian Jessie.

I must have deliberately installed the 4.9 kernel manually, I just don't
remember doing so and why I would have done it.

Thanks
A.