:: Re: [DNG] Which is Free, Which is O…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Which is Free, Which is Open Source, is there any difference?
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:10:28 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Bruce Perens (bruce@???):
>
> > There isn't a licensing difference between Free Software, Open
> > Source, and DFSG-compliant.
>
> FWIW, I concur, and regard all as a single effort with slightly
> different, overlapping marketing programs. (As you say, Richard
> doesn't see it that way; I politely demur.)

I'm not sure this is a legitimate memory: It could be confabulated.
Anyway, I seem to remember Richard telling me in an email that as far as
what you could and couldn't do with the respectively licenced code, they
were essentially the same. If my memory is accurate, the distinction he
strongly made was that Open Source didn't prioritize freedom, but
instead prioritized convenience and value to business, and he felt
that was a bad thing.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist