:: [devuan-dev] Devuan Releases - disc…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Daniel Reurich
Aan: devuan developers internal list
Onderwerp: [devuan-dev] Devuan Releases - discussion on policy and process
As per my comments on #devuan-dev

I was somewhat dissappointed in what appears to be a somewhat premature
1.0 Release Candidate. There were a number of obvious failures to adopt
a process with proper checks and a consensus around the decision to release.

In my opinion the direct issues are:

* we failed to have a defined process with time frames reflecting the
real lag in our system for packages.
* we had not agreed on the set of minimum viable product requirements
for the release nor assigned the responsibility for who should make the
call on each of those requirements state of readiness.
* we failed to verify the ISO images had the specific packages that were
meant to be in the release.

To that end I think we need to iterate quickly to get RC2 ready. If
possible within the next week.

I order to do this we need to be aware of some constraints our current
system places upon us:
a) amprolla needs 24 hours to merge latest changes from /devuan
b) apt-mirror runs 4 times a day, but should be run again just before
building the iso.
c) iso building needs to happen after a) and b) are verified to have the
neccessary changes.
d) populating the iso mirrors takes about 6 hours.

We also need to consider a process that:
a) identifies release critical issues
b) allows sufficient time to develop a resolution or mitigation for each
of the release critical issues.
c) ensures that their is consensus on whether proceed with the next
stage in the release process.
d) verify the output of each stage to ensure that we haven't lost any of
the work on the way (ie: making sure that the packages have reached
/merge before running apt-mirror and building the iso images.
e) validate the built iso's before mirroring.
f) mirror the iso's & seed the torrents etc
g) Make the release announcement.

There are other issues, like who should be involved in the release
decisions and on what areas of responsibility.

Much to think about, and much to do.

Cheers,
    Daniel.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.