:: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a qemu VM gues…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Miroslav Rovis
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a qemu VM guest
On 170322-18:35-1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > By the time you take into account host OS distro and hardware, every
> > setup is unique. For those whose situation is anything like mine,
> > running Devuan as a Qemu guest VM is difficult. So let me tell you two
> > must-know difficulties I've learned, and the workaround for each:
> >
> > 1. Mouse pointer won't leave VM window, even if you press Right+Ctrl
>
> When I run qemu, Ctrl+Alt is the key combination to leave the VM.
>
> The option '-usbdevice tablet' permits the guest to get the

I remember I did try, but couldn't get '-usbdevice tablet' to work.
Otherwise, I mostly managed to get the mouse working in my tentatives:

Devuan image in Qemu
https://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-161015-qemu-devuan/

But I never managed to solve the networking, with stock Devuan in VM
that is, in all my tries above!

(BTW, I'm stealing time from urgent obligations that I have now, bear
with me if I don't reply soon to further discussion.)

Not with stock Devuan in VM, but yes, I did solve in with Refracta, I
even posted on Refracta forums, from within Refracta in VM:

http://refracta.freeforums.org/refractasnapshot-10-0-0-arrived-t615-20.html#p5885

Here's the screencast and the network trace of that which was, for me, a
huge success story (I was so happy when I made it!):
https://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-161015-qemu-devuan/#No5

I'm now regularly using Refracta as rescue CD, of course, not from VM. I
boot it from USB stick, load it in RAM, and I clone my systems (because
I build Gentoo, and will eventually install and build Devuan, in
Air-Gapped, and clone my systems btwn two, one Air-Gapped, the other
online, same-model-hardware machines: very secure!), and I do other stuff.

And as per:
> > 2. Networking doesn't work
>
> "By default QEMU acts as a firewall and does not permit any
> incoming traffic. It also doesn't support protocols other
> than TCP and UDP. This means that ping and other ICMP
> utilities won't work."
>
> For details see:
>
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Networking#User_mode_networking
>
> I believe you can avoid these limitations if you configure QEMU in
> bridge mode, which is introduced in the same reference.

I do have a network bridge set up, like this:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Network_bridge&oldid=613162
(
that's with my updates, the references there to:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netifrc/Brctl_Migration
and other stuff, are correctly set, IMO.
BTW the bridge and things can be set the new, better way, from sysfs,
without brctl, in Devuan as well, can it?
)
[I do have a network bridge set up] for that purpose, and it works with
Refracta, but I don't know how to get stock Devuan to use it for
networking.

> HTH,
>
> Joel
>

> > NETWORKING DOESN'T WORK
> > -----------------------
> > This is usually discovered as an apt-get install or apt-get upgrade
> > failure. The first thing to remember is the following:
> >
> > ***Ping from a Qemu guest to an Internet machine ALWAYS fails***
> >
> > Always, every time, by design, it fails. Without jumping through a lot
> > of hoops, you can't send IMCP packets from a Qemu guest all the way to
> > an Internet host. So save yourself a fortune in time and don't test
> > with ping. Instead, test with dig and elinks, or equivalents. Start
> > with the following command:
> >
> > dig @8.8.8.8 devuan.org

Great to know that you can use dig or elinks. I'll bear it in mind when
I need it in the future.

Just, you're right, no Schmoog the Schmoogle, thanx a bunch for the
world's top spying agency, friends of all the Stasi's of the world, who
made all their moneys snitching on everybody! No way!

I chose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenNIC

and I have, generally, no issues with DNS.

> > HTH,
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb

> --
> Joel Roth

BTW, I'm also so happy to be on the Debian Escapees list:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/debian_escapees.html

23. Miroslav Rovis: to Devuan, Refracta and Head

;-))))

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis