:: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the …
Página Principal
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the Surf browser
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:32:58 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:20:42PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 19:10:00 -0400
> > Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> >
> > > I have found two browser-related devuan packages that have surf
> > > in their names.
> > >
> > > surf
> > > netsurf
> > >
> > > Is either of them relted to the surf you are documenting?
> >
> > Yes. The Surf I've documented is installed by the surf package. The
> > more experience I get with Surf, the more I believe that the
> > package should be installed only as a "hello world" exercise, but
> > later uninstalled and replaced by a custom configured
> > make_clean;make;make_install installation. All Suckless Tools
> > software is configured by modifying the config.h file and then
> > recompiling, meaning that the user can't modify any behavior the
> > package bestows.
>
> Hi,
>
> I would actually suggest to recompile surf using the deb-src in the
> repos. This is much cleaner, and results in a new .deb package that
> can be installed and removed safely.

Yeah, that'll work as long as Debian didn't mess with Suckless' source,
and as long as it compiles to surf-0.7. And tabbed should compile to
0.6.

You mentioned safe removal. Tabbed, Surf and Dmenu all have a "make
uninstall" option that removes all their executables and shellscripts
from the directories "make install" put them in. And the beauty of
these installations is they contain no .so or other libraries, so for
the most part uninstallation is simply the removal of executables.

So whether you're the kind of person who likes making your own
packages, or the kind who just wants to get down to business, these
three Suckless tools are just what the doctor ordered.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb