:: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the …
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the Surf browser
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 10:22:43 +0100
Florian Zieboll <f.zieboll@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:05:44 -0800
> Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Haines Brown (haines@???):
> >
> > > Your instruction are in HTML format, and so naturally in Firefox I
> > > clicked to Save as PDF. In fact, most of my work on line uses that
> > > facility. But in your instruction I could not find any reference
> > > to it. Any hope for me?

> > Set up cups-pdf.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cups-pdf
>

> Why not save as plain html? Steves files display nicely, entirely w/o
> stylesheets.

Wow, it does render pretty well without linuxlibrary.css: I'm surprised.

But Haines is right: With a failed link to linuxlibrary.css, some of
the page becomes ambiguous. For instance, see the top of the section
called "Installing Tabbed". The first line says "NOTE:", and then
paragraphs follow. With linuxlibrary.css enabled, "NOTE:" becomes a
title in a colored box, and the first and only first paragraph is
inside that box. Without the CSS, you don't know where the note stops
and the body text begins.

With the CSS, every line or sequence of lines with source code shows in
a light blue box, for more instant recognizeability. Another example:
In the section called "Integrating Tabbed and Surf With Other
Programs", the second paragraph is the word "Danger!". Without CSS,
it's just followed by a bunch of paragraphs: What the heck does
"Danger!" mean? With the CSS, the word "Danger!" is the centered title
of a garishly colored, impossible to miss box, and the following
paragraph is the text of what's dangerous. The CSS is necessary for
clarity of purpose.

I don't know why Haines needs a local copy at all (Internet not
available sometimes?), but if he does, HTML sans linuxlibrary.css
doesn't just lose pretty, it also loses some meaning and clarity. That
meaning would be better preserved by conversion of the web version to
PDF, and printing to a CUPS printer would probably do just what's
needed for a local copy.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive