:: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the …
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: KatolaZ
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the Surf browser
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:30:02AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished an extensive and complete document on installing,
> modifying and using the Surf browser, and judging from yesterday's
> biggest thread, not a moment too soon.
>
> You can see the doc here: http://troubleshooters.com/linux/surf.htm

Hi Steve,

great piece of doc. I just don't get why you say that surf does not
support SSL, or that you can't figure out how to enable it. Actually,
you don't have to enable anything: SSL/TLS support is enabled by
default in surf (well, in WebKit), and there is no easy way to disable
it.

You can easily tell whether a page is using SSL by looking at the "T"
flag in the indicator of web page (the two letters that you have after
the ":" in the surf status bar). It you see a "T", you are using SSL.

Another little thing that is missing altogether from your doc (which
is, again, very good for the beginner) is the usage of a proxy, which
can be very handful, and is as easy as launching surf with:

http_proxy="socks5://localhost:5000" tabbed surf -e

assuming that your socks5 proxy is on localhost:5000. It also works
with other sorts of proxies, but the socks5 one is somehow a special
case, since one can be created by using no more than:

ssh -D 5000 the.server.adress

Oh, and when surf is using a proxy, the second letter of the indicator
of the webpage (again, the two letters after the ":" in the status
bar) will be a P :)

My2Cents

KatolaZ