:: Re: [DNG] FF pulseaudio hard depend…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] FF pulseaudio hard dependency is here
Il giorno Wed, 8 Mar 2017 22:14:56 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 10:47:00PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> > Il 08/03/2017 18:33, golinux@??? ha scritto:
> > > This is a follow up to this old thread:
> > > https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161002.124357.7c39d049.en.html
> > >
> > > According to this post on FDN -
> > > http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=638632#p638632 - the hard
> > > pulseaudio requirement has now been implemented:
> > >
> > > "From Firefox 52 onwards, pulseaudio is a hard requirement for sound
> > > on linux. Alsa is unsupported and alsa code will be removed in Firefox
> > > 54." (from - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 47056#c178 )
> > >
> > > So heads up that Devuan might need recompile FF for alsa if Debian
> > > does not. Of course, the blowback for going down this road could yet
> > > change Mozilla's mind. Yeah, right . . .
> > >
> > > Or maybe another viable alternative will miraculously appear . . .
> > >
> > > golinux
> >
> > I was about to write a similar message, as I just found out about the
> > new "feature" the hard way.
> > In the short term I think I'm going to switch to midori.
>
> I haven't gotten midori to work in a satisfying way.
> There are a few sticking points:
>
> How do you import bookmarks from firefox?

Is this is an(other) issue with Firefox, or is it just Midori that cannot
import JSON bookmarks?

> How, when you get a directory listing from a directory on your own
> hard drive, do you get it sorted in some kind of sensible order?
> Exploring my own file system in the browser is a pain without this.

Sorry, cannot help: I don't use browsers to manage the filesystem.

http://midori-browser.org/contribute/#documentation_resources

> Is there even a mailing list? Or a user forum?

They use IRC: http://midori-browser.org/contribute/

Join IRC chat rooms

Join #midori on Freenode or use webchat to talk about Midori, discuss bugs
and new ideas.

> Raising questions on the
> github site just gets me an offputting uninformative reply.
>
> -- hendrik
>

>> I read about this change in several places, Arch and Gentoo have builds
>> that re-enable Alsa.
>
> Can we use the fruits of their expertise?

Probably, but it's going to be a temporary fix, as the Alsa code is going
to be removed from FF. I am of the idea time is ripe to go forward and leave
FF behind to rust. I agree, for even more reasons than this guy lists, to
what I read here:

https://www.andyhalford.com/

«If you are here looking for any of my add-ons (SyncPlaces, SortPlaces,
CheckPlaces or SearchPlaces) then I'm sad to inform you that these are no
longer available.

«Unfortunately I do not have the time or the motivation to continue to support
these in light of the organisation that Mozilla has become. Apparently
spending 1000's of hours promoting their products and providing add-ons to
fill the gaps in their product and repair bookmarks destroyed by Firefox
Sync, counts for little and does not deserve any flexibility or support from
them. Whatever they may claim, add-on developers are actually second-class
citizens that are seen as obstructing the development of Firefox. Surprising,
as many like myself believe that add-ons are the main USP of Firefox. I've
seen many popular and useful add-ons die as authors give up trying to keep up
with their constant changes or just get hacked-off with their holier than
thou treatment. The stats appear to reflect this misjudgement as the use of
Firefox is in decline, no doubt driven in part by users moving away as their
favourite add-ons disappear, or former add-on authors suggest alternatives to
family, friends, and colleagues.

«My decision was taken after a series of problems with them the last one being
the final straw. I will not be answering any further emails on this matter as
I do not wish to waste any more of my time on this. Also, as I no longer wish
in any way to promote Mozilla's products, I will not be hosting or providing
these extensions to anyone.

«Thanks for all the emails of support. Unfortunately, too many to respond to
individually. Thanks also for the many positive suggestions as to where my
time and effort may be more appreciated and I am already investigating
several of these.»

--
Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???