:: Re: [DNG] default signing Re: [ann…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: KatolaZ
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] default signing Re: [ann] heads 0.0 is out!
On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 11:15:00PM -0600, John Morris wrote:

> My notion is an email client should look for a keyring and if it can't
> find one it should default to creating a basic key and publishing it to
> one or more keyservers. Imagine if every message from $foobar mail
> client always had a signature attached. Now imagine that it also
> attached the public key on 1-1 emails. Just that would raise awareness
> of signed and encrypted email, creating a demand for other clients to
> chase the feature.
>
> Now harvest any keys it gets by that method or by looking up in the
> keyservers. Then instead of just signing it can start signing and
> encrypting by default once it has a key for the receiver.

That's an extremely bad default, IMHO. First reason? Imagine you
forget to copy your keyring in a newly installed box, and you run
your-preferred-smart-automagically-secure-email-client: you get
yet-another-key-on-the-damn-keyring without any reason :) Second
reason? You need all your peers to support encryption immediately,
always, and out-of-the-box, otherwise john-the-newbie would disable
this "feature" in no time.

In general, no automagic can completely replace the complexity of
human beings and their interactions. And when it comes to security and
privacy, no automagic can cure the lack of awareness.

My2Cents

KatolaZ