:: Re: [Libbitcoin] [bitcoin-dev] BIP1…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Eric Voskuil
A: Jonas Schnelli, libbitcoin@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [Libbitcoin] [bitcoin-dev] BIP151 protocol incompatibility
On 02/14/2017 12:58 PM, Jonas Schnelli wrote:

For the reason I previously mentioned...

>> I've been asked to throttle the discussion in the interest of
>> reducing list volume. I think the issue is pretty clearly addressed
>> at this point, but feel free to follow up directly and/or via the
>> libbitcoin development list (copied).

...I've dropped bitcoin-dev from this discussion. Feel free to forward
my comments to that last if you find it important.

>>> This indeed is not ideal for compatibility checks, but increases security.
>> The issue I raised is that it is not backward compatible. It sounds like
>> you agree but consider it a fair trade. My suggesting was that the BIP
>> be updated to reflect the lack of compatibility.
> It's still backward compatible. All (?) SPV clients and full node
> implementation would still work if BIP151 has been implemented.
> Isn't that backward compatibility.

The nodes looking for encryption would get what they wanted. The old
nodes offering up connections would see growing numbers of unexplained
handshake failures. This could certainly result in banning of the bad
nodes, regardless of the type of connection attempted. So it is not
backward compatible, it's a break with compatibility.

>>> I could not find a protocol specification that said communication must
>>> be terminated when messages are transmitted before the version handshake
>>> has been done.
>> It doesn't need to be specified, most of Bitcoin is unspecified. The
>> version handshake establishes the negotiated version. It is not possible
>> to determine if a message is of the negotiated version before the
>> version is negotiated. All messages apart from this one have followed
>> that rule.
> Yes. But encryption negotiation must be done before the version
> handshake (security).

Whether you must break compatibility to implement this feature is an
independent question to whether the implementation is incompatible.

The question of security has been addressed in other threads. TLDR:
BIP151 offers no security increase over the public network. It attempts
to hide traffic from observers while failing to recognize the obvious
fact that anyone can attach any number nodes to the network and observe
the global network using BIP151 connections more easily than attaching
packet sniffers to the wires. It also fails to recognize that the
purpose of validation in Bitcoin is so that peers (including men in the
middle, since everyone is anonymous) do not have to be trusted. The
*content* is validated, not the connection. I reject flatly your
assertion that avoiding the version handshake improves security when you
are connecting to anonymous peers.

>>> Also. BIP151 clearly says that the requesting peer needs to initiate the
>>> encryption (encinit).
>> An incoming connection will be dropped due to invalid protocol and
>> potentially banned depending on the implementation.
> This is not true. If the connecting peer (assume the SPV client) will
> not request encryption, the responding peer (the node) will not enforce
> or ask for encryption.
> This is clearly written in the BIP.
>>> It could very likely be possible that the initial responding peer tries
>>> to initiate a encryption session which would mean that BIP151 was not
>>> implemented correctly.
>>> Correct me if I'm wrong please.
>> I did consider the possibility, but there's this:
>>
>> "Encryption initialization must happen before sending any other messages
>> to the responding peer (encinit message after a version message must be
>> ignored)."
>>
>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0151.mediawiki#specification
>>
>> The BIP does not define "responding" and "requesting" peers, but:
>>
>> "A peer that supports encryption must accept encryption requests from
>> all peers... The responding peer accepts the encryption request by
>> sending a encack message."
>>
>> This implies the requesting peer is the peer that sends the message. You
>> seem to be saying that the requesting peer is the one that initiated
>> the connection and the responding peer is the connection receiver. If
>> this is the case it should be more clearly documented. But in the
>> case I experienced the "requester" of an encrypted session was also
>> the "receiver" of the connection.
> I think the BIP makes this very clear. IMO you are trying to hide your
> standpoint behind a wired interpretations of the BIP.

I'm not trying to hide anything Jonas. You suggested above that the
"responding" peer may be misbehaving by sending an encryption request to
my node. Did you not understand that my node was not "requesting"
encryption?? As such does it not seem reasonable to interpret your
statement to mean that the *connection* initiator is the "requester"
since again, my node clearly was not initiating the *encryption* request.

> From the BIP:
> «To request encrypted communication, the requesting peer generates an EC
> ephemeral-session-keypair and sends an encinit message to the responding
> peer and waits for a encack message. The responding node must do the
> same encinit/encack interaction for the opposite communication direction.»
>
> This seems to be pretty clear to me. You can interpret the "requesting
> peer" and "responding peer" per message interaction. But then the whole
> BIP would make no sense.

Clear to you is not sufficient, it's a standards document. It should
have been clear that my node was not requesting an encrypted connection
and therefore the scenario that you described above (responder
requesting an encrypted connection) would not be applicable.

> I'm happy if you can do a PR on the BIP that makes the wording better.
> This would actually be a productive step.

Possibly, but I'm not excited about being a contributor of record to
either BIP150 or BIP151.

>>> I could not find evidence of the protocol specification that would
>>> forbid (=terminate connection) such messages and I think allowing
>>> unknown-messages before the version handshake makes the protocol flexible.
>> Flexible is certainly one word for it. Another way to describe it is
>> dirty. Allowing invalid messages in a protocol encourages protocol
>> incompatibility. You end up with various implementations and eventually
>> have no way of knowing how they are impacted by changes. There could be
>> a range of peers inter-operating with the full network while running
>> their own sub-protocols. Given the network is public and strong
>> identification of peers is undesirable, the invalid messages would
>> reasonably just get sent to everyone. So over time, what is the
>> protocol? Due to certain "flexibility" it is already a hassle to
>> properly implement.

> Then you would have to go after all BIPs deployed this way. This
> argument has nothing to do with BIP151 it questions the whole new
> protocol features deployment.
> Again, check this code part:
>
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/a06ede9a138d0fb86b0de17c42b936d9fe6e2158/src/net_processing.cpp#L2595

Jonas, this is a bit exasperating. You clearly do not understand your
own code. I've explained it several times, and even linked your own source.

Do you understand what a version negotiation is and that the "new
protocol features" you mention send their new messages only if the peer
version is of a sufficient level?

>>> Are there any reasons we should drop peers if they send us unknown, but
>>> correctly formatted p2p packages (magic, checksum, etc.) before the
>>> version handshake, ... but not drop them if we have received unknown
>>> messages after the version handshake?
>> There is no reason to treat invalid messages differently based on where
>> they occur in the communication. After the handshake the agreed version
>> is known to both peers. As a result there is never a reason for an
>> invalid message to be sent. Therefore it is always proper to drop a peer
>> that sends an invalid message.
> That's up to the implementation. But the current flexibility exists
> because we not drop.
> Again, see above.

That the satoshi client is "flexible" is not at issue.

>>> I can't see that a such spec. would reduce the DOS attack vector?
>> This was previously addressed (immediately below).
> No. I'd like to hear from you why the DOS attack vector would be larger
> if the encryption neg. would be after the version handshake.

I explained it to sipa on this thread.

>> Yes, this is the purpose of version negotiation, which is why there are
>> version and verack messages. And this is also why, in the satoshi
>> client, two of the above messages are sent from the verack handler. The
>> feefilter message is sent dynamically but only if the peer's version
>> allows it.
>
> Again. Encryption – for the sake of security – must be the first
> interaction.
> This is exceptional for BIP151 and I'd like to hear the real downsides
> of doing that.

See above.

>>> You can't link a (unimplemented) specification (improvement process) to
>>> a protocol version before deployment. Or can you?
>> I'm not sure I follow your question. The BIP should presumably declare a
>> version number if one is necessary.
> What? You want to define protocol version number in draft improvement
> specifications?
> How should that be possible?
> It's like defining a new HTML version number if you propose/draft a new
> video streaming format.

This point is red herring. I never raised a question of when a protocol
version number should be defined as final. I raised an issue with a
compatibility break.

All protocol revisions prior to BIP151 have included protocol versions
and properly implemented version negotiation. If you want advice on the
right time to declare the specific protocol version number I recommend
contacting the authors of past proposals or reviewing source code history.