:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 22:00:29 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@???> wrote:

> Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:
> > On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 11:06:53 +0100
> > Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> >> for the record and the sake of historical correctness:
> >>
> >> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658
> >>
> >> there is however an issue we need to look at for Devuan: it seems
> >> the default dns resolver for our distribution is also back to
> >> 8.8.8.8, at least someone on irc backfired to this thread with
> >> this claim.
> >
> > What's wrong with 8.8.8.8?
>
> Why would I want to send a list of all web sites I visit to an
> advertising company providing a 'free' service who wants to have this
> information because it's valuable business data?

Yes yes yes, I understand that now. I hadn't really thought it through
when I asked that question.

In general though, I like the idea of public DNS as something that
*just works*. I can later switch to the DNS server suggested by my DHCP
suggestion, or install a caching DNS server on my computer.

I completely understand now.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21