著者: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Il giorno Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:34:20 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 04:18:10PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > > I am strongly convinced that we don't want to (and we should not, by
> > > any means) be responsible for DNS configuration, mainly because we
> > > don't want to have users complaining because they "..have set up the
> > > fallback DNS during Devuan installation, but then it got removed when
> > > I restarted my laptop...".
> > >
> > > No automatism should take care of policy. No automatism can cure
> > > ignorance.
> >
> > This is precisely the reason we're giving the user a chance to perform
> > their choice of DNS setting, unlike what they decided to do at Debian
> > (silently configure Goggle DNS servers as a fallback with no possible
> > user interaction).
> >

> I thought we were talking about a DNS fallback at *install* time. If
> this is about managing DNS serverd *after* installation, this is
> probably something we should not care about at all, IMHO. It's the
> user's responsibility to set their networking, not ours...

Yes, it is the configuration at install time, when networking might be
neened to perform a custom selection of packages to install or a system
update right after installation, if not a full network installation.

What the network is going to look like after installation the install
program cannot know, it's probably going to guess it will be just like what
it had available at install time. Networking, like many other things, is
going to be tuned according to the user's needs and preferences after the
basic installation was successfully completed. I think the install program
should not try to be too smart, to be both an install and a fine
customization tool.

--
Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???