:: [DNG] vdev packaging status (was e…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Anto
À: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: [DNG] vdev packaging status (was eudev status)
On 24/12/16 00:17, fsmithred wrote:
> On 12/23/2016 05:42 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:56:58AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
>>> I installed jessie-beta on a disk some time ago, and off hand it boots
>>> and runs just fine. However I didn't migrate it to from my current Debian
>>> Wheezy because I was waiting for the eudev/vdev/udev issue to be
>>> resolved, figuring that migrating up from present udev to one of the
>>> others could well be traumatic. I didn't want to do it on a system
>>> on which I relied for work.
>>>
>>> Two questions, if I may:
>>>
>>> Is eudev being actively worked on, and is it likely to be in
>>> the upcoming non-beta Jessie Devuan?
>> vdev was/is being developed by a Devuan user specifically with Devuan in
>> mind. eudev, as others have already stated, is a Gentoo project. I'm
>> not sure the status of vdev.
>>
> It has been packaged, and it works. (i.e. It works for me and a few
> others. If more people try it, then it will work for more people.)
>
> Here are vdev packages made by Ralph Ronnquist:
> https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/vdev/tree/master/release
>
> Here are vdev packages made by Aitor:
> http://packages.gnuinos.org/pool/main/v/vdev/
>
> I should add that the two sets of packages are probably not compatible
> with each other. Pick one.
>
> Here's a live-CD iso I made with a sparse devuan install with openbox wm
> and... vdev. I used Ralph's deb packages for this build, and I only made
> an amd64 iso. It's already isohybrid, so you can dd or cat it to a usb stick.
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/files/experimental/jessie-vdev2-20161013_0159.iso
>
> -fsmithred

Hello fsmithred and everybody,

As fas as I understood, a proper debian package must have the debian
packaging files, i.e. the debian directory and its files, so that people
can compile and test it on any supported platforms. So I don't believe
that vdev has been properly packaged so far as I cannot find any debian
packaging files either on
https://git.devuan.org/unsystemd/vdev/tree/master or
https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/vdev/tree/master. Or perhaps I am
out of date on the packaging approach used in Devuan. But I believe
Devuan still follows the same packaging method as Debian.

For me, I will be more confident to install a package that has never
been packaged before, when I can successfully compile it under my
environment using dpkg-buildpackage. Especially for device manager
packages, I have to be very careful as the chances to break my PC is
quite high. At the first stage of vdev development, I always broke my
test PC until I decided to stop testing and just wait for a vdev package
with debian packaging files available.

So is there anywhere I can find the debian packaging files of vdev?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Anto