:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rick Moen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Quoting Arnt Gulbrandsen (arnt@???):

> Alessandro Selli writes:
> >Why are Debian
> >folks so eager at increasing Google's traffic and "free" "services"?
>
> Just a guess: Because so many of the resolvers at random hotels
> suck, and that suckage causes support load.

Many ISP recursive nameservers _also_ truly suck, having reliability and
performance problems along with serious security risks.

And yet somehow, most Linux people just put up with the suckiness _or_
think they're being terribly clever when they decide to, instead,
outsource recursive nameservice to Google Public DNS or OpenDNS, and are
oblivious to the _obvious_ alternative of just running an Unbound
instance locally.

(Having a recursive nameserver on a travelling laptop does admittedly
suffer the same problem you mentioned about 8.8.8.8 with badly designed
captive wifi portals at hotels: You suddenly are mysteriously not
getting a login page and have to remember 'Oh yes, I need to disable the
"nameserver 127.0.0.1" line in /etc/resolv.conf long enough to login to
hotel wifi.)