:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Alessandro Selli
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
On 03/01/2017 at 18:20, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 11:06:53 +0100
> Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2017, Jaromil wrote:
>>
>>> what a pity Debian has switched to Google's DNS by default.
>> for the record and the sake of historical correctness:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658
>>
>> there is however an issue we need to look at for Devuan: it seems the
>> default dns resolver for our distribution is also back to 8.8.8.8, at
>> least someone on irc backfired to this thread with this claim.
> What's wrong with 8.8.8.8? It's Google's public DNS,

You answered your question yourself.
Knowing what someone's PC/network asks to resolve is yet another way for
Google to profile someone's/some organization's interests and activities.

> and for me, it always works.

I've heard the same about systemd, ans Windows and OSX and whatever.

> There are two kinds of people: Those who like Google, and
> those who hate it.

for WHATEVER in systemd Windows OSX
do echo And there are two kinds of people: those who like $WHATEVER and
those who hate it.
done

> The first group can take pride in using Google's
> public DNS, while the latter group is reassured that using 8.8.8.8 puts
> no money in Google's pocket.

Wrong. Google profits from knowing what you do on the Internet, and
it's public DNS servers are a tool to that end.

> Using 8.8.8.8 and its companion 8.8.4.4 has solved all sorts of
> problems for me where the local access point's dhcp gave me a busted
> dns or no dns at all.

So what? There are so many public DNS services, why should one use
Google's?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=public+DNS+servers&t=hs&ia=answer&iax=1

Alessandro