:: Re: [DNG] A shell script for networ…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] A shell script for network connections
On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 12:28:04PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:

[cut]

>     This is a very valuable work, fitting nicely within the concept of a
> minimal OS, and hopefully beyond. The difficulty of the work is, in my view,
> in understanding the proliferation of wifi protocols, which is why you only
> have implemented a subset. As you make progress on that matter, may I kindly
> suggest you write down into some document your understanding of these
> protocols and their various configuration parameters and how to deal with
> them and with wpa_cli. Because a tool hiding this complexity to the user is
> very usefull, but a full descrtiption is even better.

Hi Didier,

thanks for the encouraging words :) Actually, I think I can't delve
too deep into the myriad of WPA-enterprise authentication protocols,
but I will certainly document everything in setnet, even if I am by no
means (and will never be) an expert in WPA authentication.

After all, not even wpa_supplicant supports all the existing WPA
authentication protocols, and I guess that in at least 95% of the
cases you are faced with WPA-PSK, WPA-EAP, or WPA-TLS. At the moment
we have WPA-PSK. I will try to implement also a basic config for
WPA-EAP-PEAP (used, e.g., in telco hotspots, eduroam, etc.) and
possibly WPA-EAP-TLS (used in some corporate networks), which seem to
be the most common options out there.

Given the (very limited) scope of setnet, we should try to cover 95%
of the use cases and probably leave the rest to the user, who can
always edit the config file for wpa_supplicant, even from withing
setnet.

HND

KatolaZ