:: Re: [DNG] A shell script for networ…
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] A shell script for network connections
On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 09:23:39PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

> So I added the following lines below it:

> TMPFILE='/tmp/setnet.tmp'
> echo "diatop: TMPFILE IS *$TMPFILE*."
>
> After the following strongarm, the program ran nicely. So, at least
> with my shell (dash, I believe), the following line produced an empty
> string:

Hi Steve,

thanks for your encouragement. bash is currently a requirement, since
I am using a few non-posix little things. So if you want to test it
and report bugs, please use it under bash atm since a few things will
not work at all with dash. I hope I will be able to port it to
posix-sh soon.

[cut]

> Do you think there will come a time when this can be run without root
> rights? Perhaps by having a special group with write rights to
> wpa_supplicant.conf?

That should be relatively easy, and might be implemented already in
the next (forthcoming) version, together with a few minor
improvements. The problem is that having the right to run wpa_cli is
not enough to restart wpa_supplicant. However, that might not be
necessary, since we can force wpa_supplicant to re-read its conf
file. Anyway, the problem of restarting dhclients as a normal user
remains. Let's face it: network configuration is an admin task, and
should be performed by root, IMHO :)

I would like people (and I) to test it for a while before going for a
major code clean-up, which is necessary anyway. I would like to
modularise the script to make it easy to "extend" it with new
functionalities, e.g., other authentication methods, but this will be
done only after I have made the current script working properly for
the minimal live.

HND

KatolaZ