:: [DNG] A shell script for network co…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: KatolaZ
To: dng
Betreff: [DNG] A shell script for network connections
Hi All,

you might remember that a few weeks ago we discussed the possibility
of removing all the cluttering from network configuration tools, to
the point that someone (Steve Litt, I believe) even suggested that a
few lines of shell code around a well-timed "iwlist scan | grep ESSID"
could be sufficient in most of the cases.

You might also remember that I mostly disagree with that extreme
simplification, but I nevertheless gave it a try, and the result is
"setnet.sh":

http://kalos.mine.nu/setnet/

That's a simple bash+dialog wrapper around ip/dhclient/wpa_cli, which
can help configuring wired (ethernet) and wi-fi networks (only open
and WPA+PSK, at the moment). Well, it's indeed not as simple as we
might go, since dealing with the dialog interface is a good half of
the code (which BTW is around 1000 lines of shell, including
comments), but I believe it is a nice proof-of-concept.

Be careful: it's still alpha stuff (even if you can find a deb package
in there), it lacks documentation, and it definitely needs a bit of
understanding of how a network connection has to be set up (it's not
an automagic mess, I am afraid), but I am using it on my laptop
already, and I am testing it in Devuan Minimal Live, in the hope that
we will be able to include it there. I also created a project on GitLab:

https://git.devuan.org/KatolaZ/setnet

As always, comments, critics, and suggestions are more than
welcome. The gitlab page is the best way to report bugs.

HH

KatolaZ