:: Re: [DNG] eudev status
Góra strony
Autor: Anto
Dla: David Hare
CC: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] eudev status

On 24/12/16 00:49, David Hare wrote:
> Anto,

Hello David,

> you are the 4th to attempt eudev packaging (including me).
> Dimitri Puzin began this but did not finish the job. It's one thing to
> get something new working but to be on the case of it's continued
> maintenance is much more.
>
> Actually, I didn't know till now you were doing this and the only
> working deb packages appear to be mine and Jaret's. Mine were done
> before Jaret's (and are done somewhat differently). However Jaret most
> likely has greater packaging experience than myself.

Historically, we had actually discussed this in detail back in May 2015.
Since the release of eudev, I have been searching but I could not find
any working eudev package for Debian until around that time.

If you remember, I asked you about the package on
https://git.devuan.org/pkgs-utopia-substitution/devuan-eudev(https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150513.173658.ddc0b1c1.en.html).
That was after I got frustrated to have eudev package from that
repository successfully compiled
(https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150507.184709.ef5bb112.en.html). Jaret
then saved me from committing suicide :)
(https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150517.032838.0d000655.en.html).

I had some issues after Jaret changed all package names into *eudev*
(https://git.devuan.org/jaretcantu/eudev/commit/ae4d615935071f860681526c645a05bba61b84ba).
So I forked his repository and modified it which I announced on
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150525.022838.aaf28973.en.html.
I had problem in synchronising it with https://github.com/gentoo/eudev,
so I moved it to https://github.com/anto/eudev-deb. And finally merged
and maintain it on https://github.com/anto/eudev.

> The main problems for me were actually replacing udev in a running
> system and how to name the packages so dependencies of others were
> satisfied.

I don't think it is a big issue to replace the running udev on laptop
and KVM based VPS as we can still have access to GRUB menu to recover
from any issues. I had issue in switching udev with eudev on my Xen
based VPS. I had to re-image my VPS and restore the data from the
backup. I summarised my experience on the general installation of eudev
to replace udev on https://github.com/anto/eudev-deb/blob/master/README.md.

> If you take a look at them all before you start, might save you some
> work. My last version is here (with sources):
> http://exegnulinux.net/nosystemd/pool/main/e/eudev/
>
> That is based on eudev version 3.0.1 .. Everything works (here),
> including initramfs in a "live" environment (which is my main
> interest). The latest version might not not be the best one to use, as
> I was told by blueness, the main developer.
>
> Apart fom git repo (last commit 2 days ago, yes it's active) the
> latest archived tarball is 3.2.1
> https://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/eudev/eudev-3.2.1.tar.gz (December
> 11, 2016).

Thanks David. Do you maintain the source of your eudev package on a git
repository? If so, would it be possible to share that with us?

> David

Cheers,

Anto