:: Re: [DNG] bindeb-pkg (Was: Won't bo…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Adam Borowski
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] bindeb-pkg (Was: Won't boot after dist-upgrade)
On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 11:44:42AM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Am Fr den 16. Dez 2016 um 19:32 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> > I'd recommend against using kernel-package, it is basically unmaintained and
> > produces broken packages, at least for modern kernels. If you're trying to
> > compile a recent kernel, you'll be far better off using "make bindeb-pkg".
>
> Never seen that bindeb-pkg... I always build my kernels with make-kpkg.

It's a new thing in upstream kernels.

deb-pkg came first but it produces tons of useless cruft, bindeb-pkg is
there since 4.3.

> With "make bindeb-pkg", is there a way to build additional modules like
> it is with make-kpkg?

No idea about out-of-tree modules, I build nvidia and virtualbox with dkms.

> I use oss4 and nvidia modules and I depend on them. So I need a way to
> build them too.

How come you use nvidia modules with make-kpkg?
https://bugs.debian.org/772681 makes -headers incapable of building nvidia
unless you manually rm -rf include/asm after every kernel upgrade.

There are other severe bugs: fork bombing when attempting parallel compilation
unless you remember to unset build flags; glancing at the bug list I see it
fails to compile 4.9 kernels (ie, those that stretch will have) -- I haven't
tested that but this kind of failures has been handled on kbuild side during
mid-rc, kernel-package would need an update. Manoj is a skilled maintainer but
apparently he's been seriously neglecting this package.

Meow!
--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11