:: [DNG] Wifi Script within Debian Ins…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Temas antiguos: Re: [DNG] Networking on installation: was Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
Asunto: [DNG] Wifi Script within Debian InstallerNetworking on installation: was Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:34:47 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 02:44:50PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > OK. Fair enough.
> >
> > Perhaps do a script for the common cases, and if that fails, tell
> > the user:
> >
> > Failed to get a network. Would you like to try using conman and
> > wicd? Y/N=>
> >

> There is already such a "script" in the debian-installer :) Actually,
> I can't really see the reason for having another one, especially if we
> consider that this thread was started as a rant about the fact that
> closed firmware for wifi cards is not available at install time in
> Devuan, which in turn has very little to do with automagic
> configuration of the wifi network....
>
> My2Cents
>
> KatolaZ

Cool.

I therefore suggest that:

* Somebody investigate, in the current script,
the advantages of using
wpa_passphrase >> wpa_supplicant.conf to set up a WPA SSID, and
echo network={\nssid="$whatever"\nkey_mgmt=NONE\n} >> wpa_supplicant
for an unencrypted SSID

* If the current script fails for a certain SSID, call conman and/or
wicd to make an attempt.

* Some of us (including me) study what really happens when one
connects, as a dhcp client, to a WPA/WPA2 equipped SSID, and do so
within the new ip command worldview (not ipconfig, that's deprecated).

* Every distro I ever tried had lots of trouble with wifi. In my life
experiences, I've found it immensely helpful to pipe wpa_passphrase
into wpa_supplicant.conf right up front so at least you aren't
getting bounced on ssid or password, for wpa/wpa2 ssids without
certificates.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz