:: Re: [DNG] Networking on installatio…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Robert Storey
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Networking on installation: was Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
Alessandro Selli said:

> I'd like to point out that including proprietary drivers does
> not address any of the issues Robert Storey described:
>
> 1) no WiFi support in the install program;
> 2) no DHCP autoconfiguration using a wired Ethernet connection;
> 3) Wicd missing after installation.
>
> None of the above has anything to do with hardware support
> or missing proprietary drivers/firmware.

Yes, exactly. My problem had nothing to do with a lack of drivers. Neither
the Ethernet nor wifi would connect during the installation, which actually
is no big deal since I could complete the installation without
connectivity. But after first boot, no wifi (since wicd was not installed.).

With Refracta (which is based entirely on Devuan) the whole operation went
smoothly. I did not need to be connected during the install, and upon first
reboot I was able to get online right away with wicd.

My hardware is four years old and has worked with every Linux distro I've
ever tried, except Devuan beta2. And that worries me. I don't think it's
wise to make a release until this issue is resolved - it would be
disastrous for Devuan's reputation. And fixing the issue should not be hard
- again, it's all fixed in Refracta.

I have to run - very busy day today. More later.

cheers,
Robert