:: Re: [DNG] Networking on installatio…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Alessandro Selli
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Networking on installation: was Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 at 11:28:13 -0500 Steve Litt <slitt@???>
wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:27:33 +0100
> Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:
>
> > Il giorno Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:12:34 -0300
> > Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@???> ha scritto:

[...]

> > > On the other hand, by making it impossible to install without
> > > having to go and hunt firmwares under the excuse that they are not
> > > open source,
> >
> > It's not an excuse: it's a matter of fact, they are proprietary,
> > thus subject to a very different framework governing their
> > availability, distribution and usage, also under the legal point of
> > view.
>
> OK fine, just have this yes or no question early in the install:

> Are you willing to have the install try non-free drivers and firmware
> for your network, video, keyboard and mouse if free drivers and
> firmware aren't available or don't work? (Y/N):
>
> You'll say no, and the first attempt so will I. But if it doesn't work
> with free-only, I'll try yes. Different strokes. You'll never get
> nonfree software, and I'll have maximal chance of getting an
> installation running.

This would require having some separate, independent third party set up a
non-free Devuan repository in order to protect the main Devuan one from any
liability that might incur from distributing material that is encumbered by
patents, non-free distribution license clauses, DMCA-infringment claims and so
forth. Something like repoforge or deb-multimedia.

Is there any one willing to undertake this project?

--
Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???