:: Re: [DNG] Networking on installatio…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Networking on installation: was Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:27:33 +0100
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:

> Il giorno Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:12:34 -0300
> Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@???> ha scritto:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 14:30:58 +0100
> > Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Devuan was born with the intention of removing the artificial
> > > limits systemd is imposing users. Proprietary software is even
> > > worse in restricting people's choice. If your vision of Devuan
> > > is something like Ubuntu, with every kind of software ditched-in
> > > just for the sake of attracting unsuspecting victims into it's
> > > snares, I think you'd better direct your efforts into Ubuntu of
> > > like Gnome or Unity based distribution.
> >
> > On the other hand, by making it impossible to install without
> > having to go and hunt firmwares under the excuse that they are not
> > open source,
>
> It's not an excuse: it's a matter of fact, they are proprietary,
> thus subject to a very different framework governing their
> availability, distribution and usage, also under the legal point of
> view.

OK fine, just have this yes or no question early in the install:

Are you willing to have the install try non-free drivers and firmware
for your network, video, keyboard and mouse if free drivers and
firmware aren't available or don't work? (Y/N):

You'll say no, and the first attempt so will I. But if it doesn't work
with free-only, I'll try yes. Different strokes. You'll never get
nonfree software, and I'll have maximal chance of getting an
installation running.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz