:: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not use…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] devuan-discuss is not useful, quite the opposite
Le 08/11/2016 21:05, hellekin a écrit :
> On 11/06/2016 02:59 PM, Giovanni Rapagnani wrote:
>> Based on these observations, I think the information on [2] should be
>> updated to tell DNG is the primary ML. devuan-discuss would better be
>> closed and all the subscribers informed that DNG is the primary ML for
>> getting help and discuss about Devuan, because it has always been and
>> people never switched to devuan-discuss.
>>
> The devuan-discuss mailing list was created to harmonize the lists:
> devuan-announce, devuan-discuss, and devuan-dev, and to move away from
> the "Debian is Not GNOME" antagonist pattern.
>
> People never switched because there was no discussion about the identity
> of Devuan. All we know is that Devuan is not Debian. But we can't
> define our identity on a negative: Devuan has another energy than just
> being opposed to a unequivocal way of thinking about free software.
>
> I'm sad that people who were determined enough to switch distro would be
> lazy enough to not jump ships and say: here we are, we are Devuan, and
> we are not just against stuff.
>
> I love the idea of having a history and roots, and that DNG is the heart
> of our common ancestry. I know people use email filters that have to be
> updated in order to keep the sorting going. But I hate thinking about
> GNOME every time I post to DNG, for the simple reason that I have never
> used it and do not feel concerned about opposing GNOME. I'm sure it
> works for a number of people, and I'm not part of them.
>
> Don't you have a problem thinking about Devuan as "Debian without systemd"?
>
> I know we're still early in the process of differentiation, but I'm
> already pretty sure that what Devuan is becoming is not *in comparison
> of* anything. The fact we're receiving news of people making new
> derivatives regularly should be much more important in our decision
> making than any anti-foo bigotry.
>
> So yes, devuan-discuss is not useful. But contrary to what Jaromil
> said, it was not a 'top-down' approach to create it: if it were,
> everybody on DNG would have been subscribed to devuan-discuss and DNG
> would have been closed and kept for historical reason, which is what
> should happen if we really cared to think about our identity as an
> universal free software operating system.
>
> I understand Devuan as neither top-down nor bottom-up, but organic and
> transversal. So I don't say bottom-up: I say topless.
>
> Regards,

     Hi Hellekin.

     Please don't be too much embarrassed with "Devuan is Not Gnome". As
negative as it may appear at first glance, it is obviously inspired by
"Gnu is Not Unix", which is a pretty honourable reference, and which
isn't actually headed against Unix but just means it is (slightly)
different.

     Cheers.
                             Didier