:: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect f…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect from a boot-loader?
Le 03/10/2016 01:44, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 10:27:47 +0200
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>> Le 01/10/2016 07:37, Rick Moen a écrit :
>>> Quoting Joel Roth (joelz@???):

>>> I love lilo.  I should note, however, that Edward's requirements
>>> include GPT (GUID Partition Table) support, which might be possible
>>> with lilo or might be problematic.
>>       And what about RAID? I need it. And I like also Reiserfs, maybe
>> not the fastest but rock-solid; is it supported by Lilo?
> Wait a minute. Couldn't you have an ext4 root directory, and have all
> data on RAID mounts? Would that be inconvenient? Of course it would.
> But grub2 is also inconvenient, and not all people prioritize these two
> inconveniences equally.

     Long ago I would use Ext2 as the root partition, when Grub-0.9
didn't know of Reiserfs.

     Of course this scheme is certainly also usable with LILO, but then
why not use Grub-legacy? I liked this one. Actually I've never had to
deal with LILO myself. When I started to deal with installing Linux
myself, RedHat and Debian had switched to Grub.

     Sure having to reinstall the OS is not as bad as loosing the data,
but it's not pleasant either, in particular because it always happens at
a critical moment (a variation of the second principle of Peter, IIRC).

> I think people wanting grub2 should have it, but lilo or SYSLINUX could
> be used to boot MBR systems with simple-mount root partitions, followed
> by RAID/ENCRIPTION/LVM on various mounted filesystems.

     Sure. I think SYSLINUX is well supported. AFAIU the only issue with
LILO is it isn't maintained, while its environment is continuously
changing: kernel, filesystems, bios and the fucking UEFI.

     Didier