:: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect f…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Dave Turner
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect from a boot-loader?
On 01/10/16 10:03, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Dave Turner (dave_t_turner@???):
>
>> short answer:
>> a boot-loader should boot any hardware I choose to install it on.
>> If that means it has to be a complex lump of software - so be it.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> For my part, you are _absolutely_ welcome to adopt and use a complex
> lump of software that is capable of booting 'any hardware you choose to
> install it on'.

I don't want to use a complex lump of software, but grub2 seems to be
what works so I use it
I prefer lilo, I have used old grub, but for my uefi laptop it is grub2,
and other than elilo I know of nothing else that might work.
>> Now I am preparing my old iMac for devuan.
> Hmm, I haven't actually installed Linux on an iMac in a dog's age.
> Maybe someone else has recent experience. I think I used the rEFIt
> bootloader, and don't remember any particular problems.

Linux and macs mainly works. My iMac is 10 years old with a 32bit uefi
implementation - it fights you all the way, but it can be done. For
debian you start with squeeze because nothing newer will boot.

DaveT