:: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect f…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Dave Turner
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect from a boot-loader?
On 01/10/16 06:37, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Joel Roth (joelz@???):
>
>> I'm personally happy with lilo, and Devuan allows me to use it.
> I love lilo. I should note, however, that Edward's requirements include
> GPT (GUID Partition Table) support, which might be possible with lilo or
> might be problematic. Sources differ:
> http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html
> http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:installing_with_gpt_without_uefi

short answer:
a boot-loader should boot any hardware I choose to install it on. If
that means it has to be a complex lump of software - so be it. Nicely
documented smaller lighter options are welcome!

long answer:
I use lilo when I can because it does what I need it to on the old
computers I use for linux.
My nice new uefi laptop has grub2 and runs debian sid.

Now I am preparing my old iMac for devuan.
I know it will be an 'interesting' install because debian stopped making
an iso that will boot on my imac when wheezy came out!
My install for sid went like this:-
install minimal squeeze,
do dist-upgrade to minimal wheezy,
do dist-upgrade to minimal jessie,
do dist-upgrade to minimal sid,
install all the stuff I want.

'Something' interesting happened to linux iso files because most linux
distributions won't boot either. Slackware did boot but slackware gives
me a headache as soon as I try to install the software I want from the
various slackware repositories.

FYI freeBSD and variants won't boot, NetBSD and OpenBSD will boot but
once installed I can't get the sound to work.

DaveT