:: [DNG] vagrant and devuan guest
Página Principal
Autor: Attila Soki
Para: dng
Assunto: [DNG] vagrant and devuan guest
Hello,

i playing with devuan jessie using vagrant 1.8.5 on an osx host.
To test, i upgraded a wheezy box to devuan following the instructions in https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Upgrade-to-Devuan. The upgrade run without any problems.
Thank you all for the excellent job :)

During the upgrade i noticed a small vagrant vs devuan related problem
After i upgraded the kernel to linux-image-amd64 i was not able to bring up my vagrant box anymore.
the box is booted normal, but vagrant failed with:
„Vagrant attempted to execute the capability 'change_host_name'
on the detect guest OS 'linux', but the guest doesn't
support that capability…"

As far as i understand, vagrant failed to determine which os the guest is running.

i found that vagrant grepping the /etc/issue file to identify a debian guest system by executing
cat /etc/issue | grep 'Debian'
in file: /opt/vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.8.5/plugins/guests/debian/guest.rb

the content of my /etc/issue file is:
Devuan GNU/Linux 1 \n \l

i changed my /etc/issue file and added (based on Debian Jessie) and now it works for me.

I wanted to file a bug at vagrant, but than i realized,that there are many possible solutions to permanently solve this problem, for example:
a. edit the /etc/issue file and add the word Debian. eg: (based on Debian Jessie)
b. ask for a devuan plugin at vagrant
c. create a devuan plugin for vagrant and ask the vagrant folks to add it
d. ask the vagrant folks to change the debian plugin to use the /etc/os-release file (when exists) to identify debian, so could devuan add the line „ID_LIKE=Debian“ to it and appear as „debian-compatible“ to vagrant

but, i dont know if there is any interest to solve this problem and then, which one is the preferred way..

thanks again,
Attila