:: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
Góra strony
Autor: Daniel Reurich
Dla: dng@lists.dyne.org
Temat: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
On 27/08/16 12:05, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote on 27/08/16 08:52:
>> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 08:45:35AM +1000, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
>>> ..
>>> 3) Off hand I would say it would work, but on the other hand, afaik
>>> vdev is
>>> still in beta state. And I don't know anything about rpi3. To try it
>>> out,
>>> you should first make sure you can revert easily. But I haven't
>>> thought too
>>> much about how to do that. In practice, vdev conflicts with udev,
>>> libudev1
>>> and initramfs-tools, because it removes or overwrites files (/links)
>>> from
>>> these.
>>
>> It would be convenient from a user perspective, especially while we
>> are still testing, to be able to choose udev or vdev at boot time,
>> perhaps as a kernel parameter. But if the packages conflict to this
>> degree, I suppose there isn't much hope of it.
>
> Agreed about convenience. Though without thinking too deep about it,
> it'd mean improving(?) both initramfs-tools and sysvinit (and
> alternatives) towards maintaining concurrent alternative initrd, and
> startup choice respectively. I'm sure it _could_ be patched into the
> vdev installation to provide a dynamic choice between it and a prior
> udev (for some systems), but I think it'd violate the package
> independence thought quite severely; much worse than it already does.
>
> In the present incarnation, the rollback (not tested by me, though) from
> vdev to udev is (should be): remove vdev and libudev1-compat (and
> perhaps vdevd), then reinstall udev, libudev1, and initramfs-tools.

I'd imagine it should be possible to include both udev and vdev in the
initrd and add a boot option to select which device manager to use.

Once I've I've got a moment I'm going to jump in on this and see if we
can get a vdev package into experimental and work towards including it
in jessie-backports.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.