:: [DNG] UMENU2 beta
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: [DNG] UMENU2 beta
Hi all,

The UMENU2 beta is now available as a tarball, at
http://www.troubleshooters.com/projects/umenu2/downloads/umenu2_1_9_1.tgz .

UMENU2 is a very fast keystroke operated menu system capable of running
arbitrary commands, with options and arguments, environment variables,
specific current directory, and prepath (so necessary executables are
on the path).

I recommend using Suckless Tools' dmenu when you just need to run a
program any old way (Palemoon, Claws-Mail, xterm), and UMENU2 when you
need to run a program in a specific way, for instance, running LyX in a
specific directory devoted to a specific book).

Here are simple install instructions:

1. Back up and move away any existing ~/.umenurc and/or ~/umenu2/
2. cd ~
3. tar xzvf umenu2_1_9_1.tgz
4. mv umenu2_1_9_1 umenu2
5. cd umenu2/prog
6. ./umenu.py u

Dependencies:

* Posix
* Bash or dash or another sh
* Python3

No database, no YAML, no compiling a menu structure: The menu system
definition is contained in a simple directory tree, as will be obvious
when you run it.

When installed the simple way, as described in the beginning of this
email, it's capable of running up to 26 different menus (one for each
letter of the alphabet). The letter u is already used as a helper for
UMENU2 itself, helping you build new menus, peruse documents, and work
with examples of various UMENU2 features.

I've hammered this thing pretty hard, and on my computer it works
exquisitely when operated "correctly", but I have a feeling there ar
bugs lying around somewhere, and I know that the error handling in some
cases (including trying to pull up a nonexisting menu) is a little
rough and less than perfectly informative.

I'd greatly appreciate feedback on how it worked and what needs to be
fixed. Please feel free to get back to me with questions and comments,
either onlist or offlist, and I'll quickly get back to you.

Hope you like it, and don't hesitate to get back to me about it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr