:: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Ralph Ronnquist
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
Hendrik Boom wrote on 27/08/16 08:52:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 08:45:35AM +1000, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
>> ..
>> 3) Off hand I would say it would work, but on the other hand, afaik vdev is
>> still in beta state. And I don't know anything about rpi3. To try it out,
>> you should first make sure you can revert easily. But I haven't thought too
>> much about how to do that. In practice, vdev conflicts with udev, libudev1
>> and initramfs-tools, because it removes or overwrites files (/links) from
>> these.
>
> It would be convenient from a user perspective, especially while we
> are still testing, to be able to choose udev or vdev at boot time,
> perhaps as a kernel parameter. But if the packages conflict to this
> degree, I suppose there isn't much hope of it.

Agreed about convenience. Though without thinking too deep about it,
it'd mean improving(?) both initramfs-tools and sysvinit (and
alternatives) towards maintaining concurrent alternative initrd, and
startup choice respectively. I'm sure it _could_ be patched into the
vdev installation to provide a dynamic choice between it and a prior
udev (for some systems), but I think it'd violate the package
independence thought quite severely; much worse than it already does.

In the present incarnation, the rollback (not tested by me, though) from
vdev to udev is (should be): remove vdev and libudev1-compat (and
perhaps vdevd), then reinstall udev, libudev1, and initramfs-tools.