:: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ralph Ronnquist
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging

shraptor wrote on 27/08/16 02:08:
> On 2016-08-26 17:41, shraptor wrote:
>> On 2016-08-25 14:06, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
>>> So, I took the steps of forking Jude Nelson's vdev on git.devuan.org,
>>> and augmenting it with an initial set up for deb package building.
>>>
>>> I set it up as three deb's:
>>>    libudev1-compat to replace libudev1,
>>>    vdevd being the daemon, and
>>>    vdev being the configuration, initramfs building and the set up as
>>> sysvinit startup script.

>>> I've built sample packages for amd64, and tested on a pristine Devuan
>>> 1.0.0, (with DE+Xfce, printer server and ssh server). Available at
>>>
>>> https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/vdev/release
>>>
>>> If you download those and install together (as in dpkg -i *.deb), your
>>> system will change into using vdev rather than udev, but it doesn't
>>> uninstall udev for you. It "only" removes udev's sysvinit scripts, and
>>> udev's configuration for initramfs building, and the "init" script
>>> (replaces the one from initramfs-tools).
>>>
>>> When installing, it might warn about volume symlinks not being
>>> created. It's is safe to ignore this. Alternatively you install lvm2
>>> first.
>>>
>>> You can also build your own deb's by cloning
>>> https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/vdev
>>>
>>> and using
>>> $ make -f debian.mk
>>>
>>> provided you have dh_make and dpkg-buildpackage, as well as
>>> build-essential. Since I'm quite new to package building, it only
>>> contains the bare-bones so far. There are also no upstream changes to
>>> source other than to Makefile's and initramfs scripts, with the
>>> exception of the very minor patch to
>>> vdevd/helpers/LINUX/udev-compat.sh.
>>>
>>> As a side note, eventually I realised that the main issue why the
>>> keyboard didn't work, was that the evdev module didn't get installed,
>>> and that it needs to be installed before /dev/input is populated.
>>>
>>> Ralph.
>>
>> Great work Ralph.
>>
>> I will test it during next week and give feedback.
>>
>> Since I had a go at making it work meself could you explain how
>> you went about getting evdev module loaded before /dev/input was
>> populated
>>

>> Also how did you solve the problem with logfile could not be written
>> at the logfile path?
>>
>> Just curious and need to learn
>>
>> /scooby
>

> Also Ralph may I ask if you believe the vdev upgrade would work on rpi3?
>
> rpi3 with really no peripherals as it is used as a server so it probably
> would work
> although I don't know how to install the build chain for it.
>
> Probably not a good idea to build vdev on the rpi3 when it is in
> "production", right?
>
> /scooby

1) there's a "force_load evdev" early in the init-top script. Though
possibly it rather should be deferred to the script that populates
/dev/input.

2) The logfile is moved to /run/vdev/vdev.log

3) Off hand I would say it would work, but on the other hand, afaik vdev
is still in beta state. And I don't know anything about rpi3. To try it
out, you should first make sure you can revert easily. But I haven't
thought too much about how to do that. In practice, vdev conflicts with
udev, libudev1 and initramfs-tools, because it removes or overwrites
files (/links) from these.

Ralph.