:: Re: [DNG] eudev [was: vdev]
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] eudev [was: vdev]
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:37:53 +0800
Brad Campbell <lists2009@???> wrote:

> On 24/08/16 11:13, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 21:47:41 -0400
> > Clarke Sideroad <clarke.sideroad@???> wrote:
> >
> >> I think kdbus is dead due to the bad press, but I believe there is
> >> bus1 coming along to replace that.
> >> https://github.com/bus1/bus1
> >> http://www.bus1.org/
> >>
> >> Some familiar names, but possibly not directly part of
> >> systemd........
> >>
> >> Clarke
> >

> > DANGER Will Robinson. From the COPYING document:

> > COPYRIGHT: (ordered alphabetically)
> > Copyright (C) 2014-2015 Red Hat, Inc.
> > AUTHORS: (ordered alphabetically)
> > David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@???>
> > Tom Gundersen <teg@???>
> >
> > And from Wikipedia's systemd page:

> > Original author(s)
> > Lennart Poettering, Kay Sievers, Harald
> > Hoyer, Daniel Mack, Tom Gundersen and David Herrmann

> > These saboteurs just won't quit. It's our job to get out the word so
> > bus1 fares no better than kdbus, because Lennart bragged about his
> > plans when he gets the kernel to enforce use of systemd.
>
> I'm not worried. Mantra from get-go has been "Don't break userspace".
> If there is a valid use-case for a feature there will be plenty of
> opposition to it's removal.

[snip]

> If bus1 really has technical merit, can demonstrate it solves real
> problems and has all its shortcomings addressed there is no reason it
> shouldn't be integrated into the kernel. They can't then just go and
> remove netlink to spite non-systemd users. It has an existing
> userspace and other use cases.

Assuming by "they" you mean the Lennart and the Redhats, they already
have an established pattern and practice of breaking user space. If you
mean the kernel developers, they won't be the ones breaking userspace,
but a kernel-included bus1 will act very much like the firmware chips
they put into toner cartridges just so you won't buy competing toner.

We're way past the point of thinking the world is a technocracy.

Edbarx said it best: "attempting to remove systemd from SID is more
like attempting to remove the DNA from living cells expecting them not
to die."

That sounds very much like breaking userspace to me.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr