:: Re: [DNG] How bad would it be to re…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] How bad would it be to require Python3?
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 12:13:40 -0400
fsmithred <fsmithred@???> wrote:

> On 08/21/2016 11:34 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 09:34:17 -0400
> > fsmithred <fsmithred@???> wrote:

> >> You get both python2.7 and python3.4 with the default desktop
> >> install of devuan beta. I guess the default version would be the
> >> one that /usr/bin/python points to, which is currently 2.7.
> >
> > I'm gonna ask a dumb and repetitive question, just so I don't make a
> > dumb and messy mistake...
> >
> > In the preceding paragraph, do you mean that both 2.whatever and
> > 3.whatever are **installed on the disk and ready to run** when you
> > install Devuan and agree with all the defaults during installation?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >

> Yes, they're both installed and ready to run. Which one runs depends
> on which one of those symlinks you call. You can run 'python2' or
> 'python3' to get the respective versions, or you can just run
> 'python' and right now, you'll get python2.
>
> -fsr

Then it sounds to me like requiring Python3 to run my software wouldn't
be an undue hassle for the *Devuan* user wanting to run my software.
This is especially important because, according to
Adam, /usr/bin/python will *forever* refer to Python 2, which means if
I start my software with #!/usr/bin/python, some day it will simply
fail to run, because it's symlinked to a Python2 that can't be
installed.

Well cool!

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr