:: Re: [DNG] How bad would it be to re…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Adam Borowski
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] How bad would it be to require Python3?
On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 03:51:15PM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 21/08/16 15:19, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Are there still people who have ONLY Python 2.x installed on their
> > computers, without having Python 3.x? Would requiring Python 3 instead
> > of just plain Python be resented by those of us wanting minimal
> > dependencies?
>
> By default Devuan Jessie uses python 2.7, so whilst python 3 is
> available, I'd encourage sticking to that unless it adds significant
> pain to the project...

What do you mean by "default"? There is no default (other than between
versions of python 2 and between versions of python 3), these two are fully
coinstallable, and programs need to choose which one they want, with python
2 being strongly depreciated and going to be removed after stretch (which
corresponds to Devuan ascii):

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/04/msg00005.html

As to when /usr/bin/python is going to be switched, the current plan is
"never"! Even after complete removal of python 2. The explanation I've
heard is that they prefer unpackaged programs to obviously fail instead of
producing unpredictable results.

And if you're concerned about minimal dependencies, there's a fine
interpreted language at /usr/bin/perl, Essential:yes in Debian and all
derivatives.

--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.